taken by PAO <3Pao. music, long walks, illustrating dreams, tennis, films, collecting memories, gigs, fruit juices, posters, scribbles, choosing. Flickr. Folio. more?

 

Past
paolosruiz
paolosruiz
She Survived
And Darn
My Back Feels So Light
I Am The Latter
Lerma Scenes
paolosruiz
Balance the Tie
Sobrang Metal ni Miki

Reads

Dan. Migs. Pepe and Jin. Vins. AR. Ailene. Gigi. Bryant. Crizzy. IE. Dean. Joeven. Jessica Zafra. Ich. Fred. RSio. Saab Magalona. Ping Medina. Closa.

Support

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Tela at Tinta. Make your own badge here.

Support Tela at Tinta Designs
Buy a shirt now!

Inspiration
Inksurge
Post Secret
Team Manila
The Asylum
Guadakomeda
Hue Visualab
WeWorkForThem
Electrolychee
Designgraphik

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Really?

(This is about my debate subject this semester)

With the three and a half years that I spent taking up the course Mass Communication, I have completed 53 subjects under my belt. Some of which were general subjects, and the rest were for the students of my kind, exclusively. I thought to myself, 53 was not a small amount. It went above 50, thus, the total number of subjects that I have endured qualifies to be more than 50% of 100. And if you converted it into cash, you’ll have enough money to buy yourself a decent McDonald’s meal.

I finished a lot of subjects already, I said to myself. So I did not really care what the subjects that line-up before me would be. This was my last semester anyway, so I did not care any less. Five more subjects. Five more subjects to finally earn me a ticket to the most coveted graduation.

And since the semester is almost done, it is about time for me to reflect upon the juices that I have absorbed. I do not usually do this, but I will do it anyway. I have to admit, this semester was not a walk in the park, or a coffee break that you can take anytime you feel like doing so. I had my fair share of hardships and struggle. And in spite of all, positivism may just be what I needed. I took the challenge. Head on.

One of the subjects that really got me away from my bed when the night was deep and the breeze was very conducive for sleep was Debate. I am a peaceful person. And I do not love to argue. Thus, the subject code did not really appeal to me. Just to get it done and over with, I went to the classes, every 9 o’clock in the morning of Wednesday and Saturday, and tried to make the most out of my morning.

It paid off. My efforts paid off. I actually discovered a lot of things. Things that I would not know if I do not get up 6 o’clock in the mornings of Wednesdays and Saturdays, just to be in time for my 9 o’clock class. And the most important thing is that, I realized a lot of things about myself. One of those things is how to be systematized, so I will systematically break this down in to three major divisions.

As A Person
As what was stated above, I normally am a peaceful, calm, and a composed person. I act towards the situations that I get myself into, accordingly. Therefore, I do not argue, or have a sudden temper-outbreak-seizure, that much.

Normally, this is a good thing. In the eyes of the people, I am a clear manifestation of a diplomatic person. But to be honest, it does not work for me all the time.

In some circumstances, I am like an accumulated mass of detestation and loath stuck in the body which has two hands and two legs, whenever I am placed in a tight predicament, which requires me to assert myself more. I have the tendency to just shut up, and keep whatever that I feel that is right to do, to myself. Many say that it is calmness and an exhibition of composure. I say, it is being scared and passive.

Debate taught me to step out of the box. Finally, a venue for me to be a person that I was not before. And that is to be forward and assertive. Standing before my belief is everything that I have. And I firmly deem that this applies to all. Fighting for what you believe is right, makes a man a man. But fighting for it, in spite of dire conditions, makes a man win the battle.

As A Political Person
Politics is not everything that we see on TV or hear over the radio. Being a political person does not automatically entitle you a position in the Government or in any political organization. A normal person can be a political person. Everybody actually can.

Politics is a process of solving conflicts. Without conflicts, there would be no politics. And without politics, there would be no conflicts. They complement each other, and they co-exist. Thus, we cannot get rid of them. Live with it.

After learning debate, it enabled me to solve my conflicts better. And with better, I mean more properly. As stated in my introduction, I became more systematic. I get to the root of the problem first, before acting upon something.

Sometimes, people only look at the surface of the problem, and not really delve on the core. And this is what I believe is the greatest setback a person can have – not being able to solve the root. I am the least person that would like to be like this. Thank God I am not.

As A Communicator
Mass Communication. Communication is the foundation of my course. Communication is the support of the path that I choose to tackle in life. It is only logical that I must try my very best to be good at it.

There is nothing that cannot be done with good communication, they say. And I believe this. Communication is what’s lacking in our society most of the time, that is why many of us generate divergence and conflicts It is only proper that I do not add up to the problem anymore. Hence, I shall be an advocate of good communication.

On a more serious note, debate is all about communication. It entails a clash of ideas and proposals, but at the end of the day, the problem is solved. The environment may be hostile at some point, but it still solves the problem during the end. If only all the people can learn how to debate properly, or at least be critical as what this subject has taught me, then the road towards development is the only road that would be before us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Takipsilim (c) Pao
Layout (c) Angeli
Image (c) Pao

Since 2005
?