taken by PAO <3Pao. music, long walks, illustrating dreams, tennis, films, collecting memories, gigs, fruit juices, posters, scribbles, choosing. Flickr. Folio. more?

 

Past
And Darn
My Back Feels So Light
I Am The Latter
Lerma Scenes
paolosruiz
Balance the Tie
Sobrang Metal ni Miki
paoloruiz
I Think You Are As Well
Three Lights

Reads

Dan. Migs. Pepe and Jin. Vins. AR. Ailene. Gigi. Bryant. Crizzy. IE. Dean. Joeven. Jessica Zafra. Ich. Fred. RSio. Saab Magalona. Ping Medina. Closa.

Support

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Tela at Tinta. Make your own badge here.

Support Tela at Tinta Designs
Buy a shirt now!

Inspiration
Inksurge
Post Secret
Team Manila
The Asylum
Guadakomeda
Hue Visualab
WeWorkForThem
Electrolychee
Designgraphik

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

She Survived

February 28, 2007
12:24 am

Life is not easy. And many would attest to this. In fact, a lot would say that they are having a hard time surviving this game already. And I am one of those people. I complain. I demand. I wish for an easier path to travel. I wish for a well-lit street to be before me, and surpass the dim alley that I am in most of the time. The problem is, I just wish.

I was doing some final touches in my thesis when I saw Oprah. The episode featured the survivors of the genocide that happened in Africa not so long ago. It arrested my attention and interest. All of a sudden, I took my hand off the keyboard, and I focused on the black tube.

The narration of one of the survivors was explicit. The graphic words that she used were enough to make me feel the tremor that she felt, and may still be feeling. The footages of the segment added more horror. Stolen shots of African being violently hit by their fellow Africans were showed. Clear photos of beheaded people were demonstrated. It did not disgust me. Rather, it made me listen to her story more.

The guest was only six when she experienced the genocide. People being tortured and eventually killed were presented before her young eyes. Her innocence was not an excuse for her not to feel fear. She was terrified. It was traumatic according to her. Her parents, grand parents, and most of her extended families were a victim. But she managed to survive by hiding behind a banana tree. She ran without knowing where to go. All she knew was that was the only way she can survive - to run.

I was stunned by this episode. I have heard about the said genocide in Africa, but I did not pay much attention to it. But now that I have heard the story from a survivor, my interest turned a whole 180 degrees.

This incident in Africa is a representation of the authenticity of our society these days. Some say that we are in a fantasy; some say that this is reality. But wherever we are in, one thing is certain: there is a truth out there, that people bestow force against their fellow people. This is very apparent though.

Going back to my story, I complain. I demand. I wish for an easier path to travel. I wish for a well-lit street to be before me, and surpass the dim alley that I am in most of the time. But after hearing the story of that lady who survived a massive killing in her country, I guess I will be sticking to my realms. If they can survive their hardships, so can I. Alam ko. Luma na yung linya.

1 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Blogger Angeli said...

*nod* I couldn't agree more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Takipsilim (c) Pao
Layout (c) Angeli
Image (c) Pao

Since 2005
?